Saturday, September 25, 2010

Travel is a means to and end. Home.

The sentence in the title is something I feel really mine.
It has been an inspiring sentence. I was in London, just arrived after
a long and problematic flight. I took the train from Heatrow and I
ended up in Paddington at 6pm.
Lot of people walking around, lot of noise and I think I did look like
a farmer just arrived in town. In a city he does not like, in a place
he does not know.
I finally understood where to go and I bought the Oyster card and the
guy gave me a card holder with the Ikea logo and the sentence "Travel
is a means to and end. Home". I felt strange while reading it in front
of the train track. I felt at home and safe for a little while and I
kept that insignificant object in my hand for the whole journey to my
hotel. It was very cold and I was feeling alone but that yellow stuff
kept me safe.
I remember the feeling in the room. Lot of rain outside and a little
world inside where I could relax with no risks. Weird. I usually like
to travel but not that time.
Maybe because I wanted a specific person to be there.

Today I am travelling as well.
No business class, no VIP lounge, no great hotel to check in.
Today is for myself. This is the first blog post written on my mobile
from a plane! :-)
I am flying with a cheap airline on a blue and yellow seat. I hate
that airline but they are the only one flying where I wanna go. The
plane departed at 6AM and it is not really fun.
I will arrive in a city I love and I know quite well. I will leave the
arrival lounge with people who maybe are there for the first time.
Usually couples. I have got two young guys in my row. They are sweet,
they kiss each other every 5 minutes (I have to say he is quite
brave... ;-)). I hope they willl enjoy the city as I did my first
time. They are reading a Lonely Planet guide. I kind of envy them. If
they are lucky and inspired they will be able to see the magic of that
city and the poetry in the small streets, in the guys talking in a
lovely language who make you feel happy.

I will see the same places once again. I will have breakfast in the
same bar as that's the one where my love story with the city began. I
will walk in the park and take a bus or a bike to that inspiring
Church. I will climb to the top of the tower, take the boat in the
River, see the bloody show screaming if the guy is bad, clapping loud
while standing if the guy has been good.
Nothing new. But everything so *mine*
And I will be alone this time as well. Travelling alone is tough. When
you prepare your luggage you feel a bit stupid. And you fear you will
not like it. You fear you will be out of your confort zone. And at the
end you will be. But usually it is inspiring. I love it, despite it is
sad and unconfortable from time to time.

The sun just began to show himself beyond the clouds. It is orange and
very nice to see. The unknown cities below are waking up but you can
still see the lights of the night. This is the part of the early
morning flight I prefer.

Funny enough, I am having a cup of hot tea and a Shortbread. This
brings me back to another solo trip to Glasgow. A solo day-trip to
attend a concert. Maybe I am meant to make all of those discovery
alone?
Maybe being in a couple visiting new things is just another way but
not more interesting? For sure they are couples here who would not
even notice the sun and the lights below. They might not smell the air
in that city. They might focus on the main must-see places forgetting
the soul of the place. If that's the case, this time being alone is
better.

If you arrived to read this sentence you are very patient or just as
crazy as I am! :-)

Noodlles in the air.
(noodles.homewood at gmail.com)

--
Sent from my mobile device

2 comments:

AnnaFullStop said...

Nothing new. But everything so *mine*.

When I started reading this I thought you were in London :) without telling me! and I recognized the phrase on the Oyster Card as soon as I read it.

I don't know which is your city, probably Paris? Or Berlin? I hope it's not Amsterdam :(

I have the same feeling, envying people who come to London for the first time, while travelling alone, which is most of the time, because mine is not pleasure travelling. And I always feel offended when I think people can underestimate my city, can just look at the same old stuff and not actually FEEL it.

It requires a huge degree of self consciousness to actually travel alone. Eat alone, in places you feel yours without having somoene that indicates the purple trees to you :).

But I believe if you did it, it means you are good with yourself, you feel comfortable, and you actually can do that. I couldn't. Not right now, I have problems in being alone right now.

And I am so fed up of myself when I am like that...
I hope you enjoy your time alone wherever you are...it's healing.
And I hope this comment actually makes sense. :)

AnnaFullStop said...

If you arrived to read this sentence you are very patient or just as
crazy as I am! :-)

I guess I am crazy enough :)