Sunday, September 19, 2010

Casablanca

I have run this question with a few people in the last months and now I would like to share it here.

Casablanca is probably one of the most famous films of all time.
It is a love story between Rick, a cynical American escaped from the US for an unknown reason, Ilsa, a pretty Norwegian girl who met Rick in Paris a few days before the German marched into Paris and Victor, a famous fugitive of the Czech Resistance she has always been with.
Ilsa and Victor were married and she tought he was dead when she meet Rick. Before escaping from Paris with Rick, she get informed that Victor is still alive and then she decides not follow Rick. He will be waiting at the Paris station like "a guy standing on a station platform in the rain with a comical look in his face because his insides have been kicked out".

They all meet again in Casablanca. At the end of the movie all of them are willing to leave Casablanca for political reasons and Rick has only two letter of transit. He decides that Victor and Ilsa will leave, while he will stay there.

Here is the terrific ending dialog:

Rick: Last night we said a great many things. You said I was to do the thinking for both of us. Well, I've done a lot of it since then, and it all adds up to one thing: you're getting on that plane with Victor where you belong.
Ilsa: But, Richard, no, I... I...
Rick: Now, you've got to listen to me! You have any idea what you'd have to look forward to if you stayed here? Nine chances out of ten, we'd both wind up in a concentration camp. Isn't that true, Louie?
Captain Renault: I'm afraid Major Strasser would insist.
Ilsa: You're saying this only to make me go.
Rick: I'm saying it because it's true. Inside of us, we both know you belong with Victor. You're part of his work, the thing that keeps him going. If that plane leaves the ground and you're not with him, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
Ilsa: But what about us?
Rick: We'll always have Paris. We didn't have, we, we lost it until you came to Casablanca. We got it back last night.
Ilsa: When I said I would never leave you.
Rick: And you never will. But I've got a job to do, too. Where I'm going, you can't follow. What I've got to do, you can't be any part of. Ilsa, I'm no good at being noble, but it doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you'll understand that.
Rick: Now, now...
Rick: Here's looking at you kid.

Did he take the right decision? Love should never be interrupted? Or was he fearing a comparison and come out as the loser?

I am Rick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3odtrWWc2A

3 comments:

AnnaFullStop said...

And I am Katie.
Rick shouldn't have gone.

Noodles Homewood said...

Why not? Because it is an impossible love? Because she was really in love with Victor? Or just because then he can tell the world he suffered for love and decided to sacrifice himself?

AnnaFullStop said...

Telling the world how you suffered doesn't make a love special.