Monday, September 27, 2010

La Lluvia (tambien) en Sevilla es una Maravilla 

Sevilla is the city.
Sevilla is the place I would really like to live in.
Everything is slow and poetry there. The small streets in the center of the city, the river, the warm sun at the end of September during the Feria de San Miguel. Los toros, pas tapas, las cervecitas y las mujeres.
La lluvia tambien en Sevilla es una Maravilla.

This place is all about fun and joie de vivre. Not because you can dance in a disco until 4AM. Because people is great and the place is wonderful.

It is a place where you can walk around and people smile. People move slowly, never in a hurry. You can spend time doing nothing or simply feeling the warm sensation of the sun in Plaza de Espana. Where you can take a small tour of Spain as you can see references and corners of any Spanish province.
It is a place with passion. Where people wants to have fun together, where it is easy to talk even if you Spanish is crappy and almost nobody speak English. People will tell about their life doing their best to let you understand.

I have been in a taperia. Crowd of people, drinking small beers (becuase the cerveca must be "glacial" and if it is too big it will get warm before you finish), eating great food. With the local guys willing to know why a guy from Italy likes a Spanish city so much. And I have got people willing to explain me the history of the Betis team in 1907 and what happened during the Civil War to the team members who have been killed.
The offered me their food becuase they found it amazing and I could not leave Sevilla without trying that particular tapa.

I have met a lady with whom it was impossible to communicate because of the lack of common language. She could understand what I said but she could not answer back without long and funny hand movements to explain just a single word. But at some point, with a single glance she told me what she meant and what she wanted because the "Language of the World" sometimes can go beyond words.

Or another sweet and funny lady wanted to explain me the meaning of her name. Rocio. "Mi nombre significa la lluvia de la manana". My names means the rain of the morning. Dew. Isn't this something really amazing?  Lluvia de la manana. This sentence amazed me. And the way people speak, the accent, is just wonderful.

Or that Brazilian guy. Running a restaurant with his boyfriend. A restaurant where to be hired you have to come from abroad. There is the Brazilian guy, his boyfriend from Holland, a guy from Venezuela, France, Argentina, Peru. The idea is that any of them brings a flavour from his country and his culture. And the food is just an amazing mix of all of those.

Since I have arrived in the city I kept singing a song in my head. It is an old song in Spanish that my "second mind" keeps pushing to me. The reference to the second mind is peculiar and not sure it is easy to understand. I have copied the lyrics so I can have it here.

<<
Duermen en mi jardin
las blancas azucenas, los nardos y las rosas,
Mi alma muy triste y pesarosa
a las flores quiere ocultar su amargo dolor.

Yo no quiero que las flores sepan
los tormentos que me da la vida.
Si supieran lo que estoy sufriendo
por mis penas llorarían también.

Silencio, que están durmiendo
los nardos y las azucenas.
No quiero que sepan mis penas
porque si me ven llorando morirán.
>>

During this trip I did not visit any monument. I was not that interested. The city was much more than enough and I am looking forward for the next fiesta or for a good Opera en el "Teatro de la Maestranza" to have an excuse to come back. As this place is magic. And you can not understand the beauty of a full moon appearing beyond the Cathedral while looking to the profile of the city from the other bank of the Guadalquivir. You can not until you actually see it.

I just realized that this posts is full of small details because this is what I look for. Because life is a matter of details. The whole picture will take care of itself. Details can make the difference.

Noodles in the air.

--
Sent from a tiny keyboard
Please ignore typos unless they are funny

5 comments:

AnnaFullStop said...

NOOO I POSTED A COMMENT AND IT IS NOT HERE ANYMORE!!!

Noodles Homewood said...

Mmmm... I did not even get the notification email...

AnnaFullStop said...

I guess I didn't post it right...
Anyway, I just thanked you because this blog today, while I am eaten up by dark memory is somehow refreshing, sunny, bright.
Your relation to Seville resembles to mine with London :) and I very much appreciate your need to write about this love...

and one thing more..probably people are different just because in the million details one can notice there are few people that can see the same details... probably that is the difference. Details make the difference.

Noodles Homewood said...

You know, today's post is special.
I have been writing it on the plane. I love writing on the plane. Because on the plane you feel usually tired and with no defense so it is insipring for me.
I spent 2 hours and an half with a screaming boy next to me (I wanted to switch him off!) so I ended up writing with my headset on.

Seville... Have you ever been there?
I already miss the place - I am a bit sad now...

AnnaFullStop said...

Don't be sad..Seville doesn't go anywhere.... :)

And no never been in Spain!! :(
I should go...I know!
and I always always write in the plane, I totally relate!